Policy last updated: 5th October 2016
A cookie is a packet of data sent by an Internet server to a browser, which is returned by the browser each time it subsequently accesses the same server, used to identify the user or track their access to the server.
Cookies can expire at the end of a browser session (from when a user opens the browser window to when they exit the browser) or they can be stored for longer.
The following points explains the difference between these types of cookies:
- Session Cookies – allow websites to link the actions of a user during a browser session. They may be used for a variety of purposes such as remembering what a user has put in their shopping basket as they browse around a site. They could also be used for security when a user is accessing internet banking or to facilitate use of webmail. These session cookies expire after a browser session so would not be stored longer term. For this reason session cookies may sometimes be considered less privacy intrusive than persistent cookies.
- Persistent Cookies – are stored on a user's device in between browser sessions which allows the preferences or actions of the user across a site (or in some cases across different websites) to be remembered. Persistent cookies may be used for a variety of purposes including remembering user's preferences and choices when using a site or to target advertising.
- First and third party cookies – Whether a cookie is 'first' or 'third' party refers to the website or domain placing the cookie. First party cookies in basic terms are cookies set by a website visited by the user - the website displayed in the URL window. Third party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than the one being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and a separate company sets a cookie through that website this would be a third party cookie.
Currently Givta utilises various forms of Cookies including:
- Analytical / Performance Cookies - These cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality Cookies - These cookies are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences, allow for live chat support on your browsing experience.
- Targeting Cookies - These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose. These cookies allow you to share and like & send information to other websites to customize their advertisements.
When you visit our website, we may automatically collect the following types of information from you: Your internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, your login information, time zone setting, operating system and platform, information about your visits including the URL you came from, your country, the search terms you used in our website, products you viewed are searched, your preferred store, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information, (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and the methods used to browse away from the page. We may collect this information from you whether or not you have logged into the Givta web service.
Givta may from time to time update this policy, therefore the date of issue will be indicated by the date on the top of this policy. Changes in technology, legislation and authoritie's guidance may require us to inform you of the activities we undertake where it affects your privacy rights. You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are familiar with any changes.